Gallery: Avery in the Early Twentieth Century

Faculty at Avery, Charleston, South Carolina, ca. 1916, courtesy of the Avery Research Center. This photograph includes Principal Cox (seated middle row, far right) and his wife Jeannette Cox (seated first row, left).  Other faculty pictured: A. W. Murrell, H. L. Green, E. B. Spencer, S. E. Hamilton, F. A. Clyde, E. P. Morrison, A. E. Hill, H. W. McLennan, and A. L. Demond.

Faculty at Avery, Charleston, South Carolina, ca. 1916, courtesy of the Avery Research Center. This photograph includes Principal Cox (seated middle row, far right) and his wife Jeannette Cox (seated first row, left). Other faculty pictured: A. W. Murrell, H. L. Green, E. B. Spencer, S. E. Hamilton, F. A. Clyde, E. P. Morrison, A. E. Hill, H. W. McLennan, and A. L. Demond.

Avery's high school student body, Charleston, South Carolina, 1924, courtesy of the Avery Research Center.

Avery's high school student body, Charleston, South Carolina, 1924, courtesy of the Avery Research Center. By 1882, Avery’s complete curriculum included three years of primary classes, kindergarten, three years of intermediate classes, three years of grammar school, and two advanced programs equivalent to high school. The three-year normal track program enabled graduates to teach in the lower grades; the four-year classical program prepared students for college as well as teaching. By 1910, Avery dropped the first through fourth grades, and the advanced tracks both became four-year programs.